Shale Hills is a quiet, low-key area, with a variety of sealed walking loops and cycling tracks leading to a wetland and dam viewing area. It’s a top spot to get active, surrounded by nature.
Shale Hills is also the site of our new dog park, opening in early 2020. As well as an off-leash area, the park will include a dog activity circuit, sensory garden and separate runs for large and small/shy dogs. See Parklands projects for details and updates.
Facilities at Shale Hills:
- Amphitheatre – the four-tiered amphitheatre is popular as an outdoor educational space. It is available for use by all visitors, free of charge, on a ‘first-come, first-served’ basis.
- Picnic shelters – there are no shelters at Shale Hills. Go to hire a picnic shelter for alternative sites.
- Barbecues – there are no electric barbecues here, but BYO (bring your own) portable gas barbecues are allowed throughout the area. See below for more information.
- See a map of The Parklands.
- Entries to Shale Hills are at Moondarra Drive, Carmichael Drive, Mannow Ave, Twenty Third Ave and Thirty Second Ave, West Hoxton.
- There is currently no carpark at Shale Hills. Park on surrounding streets near the entrance.
- Portable gas barbecues can be used.
- Heat bead and coal barbecues must NOT be used anywhere in the Parklands.
- If there’s a Total Fire Ban only the Parklands’ electric barbecues can be used.
- If you need assistance you can contact our office or a ranger.