Multi-million dollar injection for the Western Sydney Parklands
29 November 2016
A new commercial precinct in Western Sydney will provide more jobs close to where people live, and fund the ongoing improvement and management of the Western Sydney Parklands.
The Department of Planning and Environment has approved a concept plan for a business hub in West Hoxton that will create 120 construction jobs and provide 130 jobs once complete. It will also inject a total of $14.7 million into the economy.
West Hoxton is one of nine business hubs that the Western Sydney Parklands Trust (WSPT) has identified to provide more jobs for Western Sydney locals.
These hubs will also generate $10 million per year to improve the Parklands over the next decade.
Suellen Fitzgerald, Executive Director of Western Sydney Parklands Trust says “The new West Hoxton business hub will create a long term recurrent income stream for Western Sydney Parklands Trust, which will allow the Trust to manage the remainder of the Parklands and deliver significant benefits to the Western Sydney community”.
Western Sydney Parklands Trust’s Plan of Management sets aside 2% of the Parklands for business hubs to fund the remaining 98% of the Parklands.
“By activating vacant land with low recreational and ecological value, Western Sydney Parklands Trust is generating funds to develop and manage new recreation facilities, expand the 1,000 hectare biodiversity corridor and create more cycling and walking tracks for the community to enjoy,” Ms Fitzgerald said.
The West Hoxton business hub on Fifteenth Avenue may include a supermarket, commercial and retail outlets, a service station and a child care centre.
The precinct will be located on a future transport corridor between the South West Growth Centre and the Liverpool Local Government Area.
The Department has also approved an additional development, a distribution and industrial facility at the separate Horsley Drive Business Park, another one of WSPT’s identified business hubs.
The warehouse, distribution and light industrial facility, currently being developed by Frasers Property, at The Horsley Drive will be developed over two stages, injecting more than $12 million into the economy and create 300 construction jobs and around 100 full time jobs once constructed.
Anthea Sargeant, Executive Director of Key Sites and Industry Assessments, said these decisions were made following careful consideration of feedback from the community, Liverpool and Fairfield Councils and NSW Government agencies.”
“Community consultation is an important part of the assessment process.”
Issues raised during community consultation periods included potential impacts on traffic from the two projects and effects on nearby shops from the West Hoxton development.
Both, WSPT at West Hoxton and Frasers Property at Horsley Drive will need to prepare construction and traffic management plans.
WSPT will also need to construct a safe pedestrian crossing on Fifteenth Avenue that connects the site to existing shops and homes, as well as limit the total size of shops to minimise the economic impact on the existing West Hoxton Shopping Centre.
For more information on these two projects, visit http://majorprojects.planning.nsw.gov.au/